Wednesday, July 8, 2015

So far I have selected two cold war presidential speeches to analyze as well as a quote from Nixon. It wouldn't be a complete cold war unit without a Nixon quote.  We will start with this, doing a 5 minute free write on the quote, then we will discuss the tasks and background knowledge of the unit.

The LCD does a good job outlining all the important parts of a module.  They allow space to start with the end in mind but also to scaffold the unit appropriately with good background knowledge building tasks and task analysis -- or making sure the students understand what they are doing and why.

I want them to understand how to break down complex texts and to formulate an argument.  Simply by interpreting a quote from a historical context, students will get a micro version of the whole module which they will work with in much more depth throughout the unit.

Also, I've researched some articles for my research on teaching content to ELLs.  I'm not sure if I can get data myself at this point but I think I can write a summary or reflection of the articles and then posit my own take and experience.

For my personal narrative, I think it is really good but a few things might need to be tweaked.  Not 100 percent sure yet.

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment