Thursday, July 16, 2015

How might we connect with and motivate our students?

From the first day of school in September until our last day together in June, I endeavor to connect with and inspire the students in my care. Engaging them in the affective and cognitive realm are equally vital to me. Recently I have added Carol Dweck's work on growth mindset vs. fixed mindset and Ready, Willing, and Able: A Developmental Approach to College Access and Success by Mandy Savitz-Romer and Suzanne M. Bouffard (Harvard Education Press) to my teaching repertoire. Today, I'm sharing some activities I've done with students to get to know them as individuals, build classroom community, and inspire college and career readiness!

2 comments:

  1. Like Khieta, I am always nervous the night before my first class of the semester. You'd think after 20 years this would go away, but it hasn't. Am I prepared? Will it be an interesting class? Since I teach adults who are often experienced teachers, I worry about them silently critiquing me. And, silliest of all, will they like me? So, I shake it off and dive in. I focus on human connection, honesty, and respect. I am who I am. I know that research says teachers get 10 seconds for students to decide if they trust you. 10 seconds. No time for fake performances. So far this has worked for me. My students come to trust me and come along as we challenge our assumptions and learn new things. It doesn't get better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting off school is always an exciting and nerve-wracking process. Luckily, apart from a few classes, the students I work with are those who are continuing in our Arts program, so they know me and I know them. The new majors though, are shiny and bright-eyed, and hopeful. I think all students come into a year or a new class hopeful that there will be something and someone that will interest and/or invite them into the subject.

    ReplyDelete