Monday, July 13, 2015

Morning Reflection 7/13/15

Pretty riveting slam poetry performance duet.  Sounds like they are really breaking down stereotypes and very ingrained prejudices that many people have about blacks and also women and feminists.  They seemed appropriately angry.

I liked how they flowed together and rhymed together here and there.  It was like they were hinged together in theme and passion.

I think people have a lot of misconceptions about what it truly is like to be black in America today.  Many whites takes things for granted.  But progress is still very slow across the country in attaining true equality.

"The problem with speaking up for each other is that everyone is left without a voice"  ? -- I agree with Dan, this is a little mind-boggling.  Some folks need to be spoken up for.  In my experience, I often have to advocate for my students and in the process I teach them to advocate for themselves by teaching them the language, mainly.

I think what they were going for was to show how important it is to put yourself in other's shoes.  And then they showed that sometimes when you are arguing only from your perspective, you miss out on a lot of stuff that the other perspective is going through or has to deal with.  For example, the girl had some privileges because she was white, and the guy had some because he was a guy, apparently, but they both told tales of being prejudiced against.  Interesting.  As a white male, I feel slightly bad.  But they're are all sorts of prejudices ingrained in American culture.  For instance as an Irish Italian American male I would be prejudiced agains in some circles, or as a Roman Catholic.  W/e.

No comments:

Post a Comment