Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Morning Reflection

I recently came across the spoken word work of Suli Breaks from England. The young man reflects the general opinion of his generation, culture, and time. While the Millennials have transformed into the next generation (generation Z), understanding the Millennials (and Generation Z) can be helpful to those of us who are older teachers.

The Millennial Generation Manifesto Article from the Huffington Post (Suli Breaks).

10 Point Manifesto 
1. Allow us to educate ourselves. Nurture our independent thought.
2. Have faith in our decision making, no matter how radical or crazy the ideas sound.
3. Our love doesn’t see colour or religion.
4. Let us make mistakes
5. Allow us to be who we want to be, even if it is a profession in which there is traditionally [little/next to no] money.
6. Give us the opportunity to see the world.
7. Social media  is a tool, not just a “distraction”.
8. Don’t expect us to be you.
9. Don’t let us pay for your mistakes; we want to form our own view of the world.
10.We are the politics and the politicians.

Along with these points, take a look at Suli's spoken word video on education, and reflect.

If you have 8 seconds, here's a link to a website by Anne Boysen about the Z Generation.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always show a Suli Breaks video in my literacy class to generate discussion. One thing I look for is whether people are "surprised" by how smart he is. I've noticed that adults are often surprised by how smart our youth are. I just don't understand that. Why are "we" surprised? Are we surprised by all youth, or just certain ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am verklempt...This poet is eloquent and provocative in the best sense of the word. I especially appreciate the imagery of the piece on David Beckham. Indeed there are many ways to be educated and this piece resonates with that assertion. Sometimes it is oh so easy to lose site of this in the crush of high stakes testing and the push toward the privatization of education. As an urban educator, I feel pressured to make sure everyone knows my students are just as intelligent as the suburban students down the road. That pressure distracts me at times from developing my students as intellectuals, critical thinkers, self-directed learners. This is an honest, refreshing reminder of my own purpose in working with young people. Would that all of my students could express themselves in such an exquisite manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In recent years I've tip-toed away from my spoken word unit. A few nay-sayers in years past brought up the issue that spoken word was too difficult to write, unfocused, or too rambling, among other complaints by both white and black students that they were tired of teachers teaching these "trendy" issues. But I think I need to go back and deliver the unit in a different light. The racial issues in American infused by the media make it an absolutely important subject to examine. My black students often complained that they are not being taught the classics or that we, as an institution, are not preparing them for college success, or when they are taught difficult or college material, they aren't engaged. My white students say they are often bored with the themes of "freedom" and "identity" or the economic issues of urban education. I've been distracted the last few years with APPR and the Common Core so that my unit was put aside. I need to find a balance this upcoming year and resurrect some of my former successful units.

    ReplyDelete