Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Classroom Environment Fail

This year I decided to really go all out in decorating my classroom. I'm not saying I'm on a Pinterest-worthy level, but it looks homey and comfortable I got some bouncy chairs and butterfly chairs and small rugs.  One of the highlights of my new decor was the lighting. I suffer from migraines and coincidentally noticed that my students hate the florescent lights, so I decked out the room with Christmas lights-galore and lots of lamps.

Headache-free teacher and homey classroom- end of story, right? I typically kept the main light in the front of the classroom off so that we could better see the SmartBoard screen. The back light remained on so that students would be able to see their work. This sometimes caused what can only be referred to as the Lighting Wars. "Turn that one off!" one student would yell. "No!! It's too dark in here!!" another would retort. It was like a sitcom. I'd be teaching and all of sudden complete darkness would surround me.

One day, I took a rare bathroom break because I had other teachers supporting me in the room. As a I re-entered the room, a student with a heart for justice was on a tirade about these "stupid Christmas lights" and how they were a "waste of energy messing up the planet..." He unplugged every single lamp or string of lights in the room, sat back in his chair, looked at me and said, "I don't know what the point of all this is anyway!"

My attempt at Domain -2ing my room up had burst into flames. I couldn't decide whether to go the Democracy or Dictator route. I split the difference. I explained that the added lights were supposed to create a more comforting feel to OUR room, but that practically speaking, we'd all be able to see what we were doing. "Don't y'all want this room to look nice," one of supporters cried out. I'd forgotten about my original aesthetic mission.  Reluctantly, I re-emerged as the President of semi- democratic republic of room 221. From here on out, only I or a designated light flicker could touch the light-and ultimate lighting decisions would be based on ability to see our work.

Story from another perspective

Today I was late again, thinkin', "... wonder if this lady is going to let me in. She probably doesn't want me in this class anyway." Okay, whatever, I decided to just sit here and do what she wants me to do.

See, I kinda like this class- I feel comfortable in here- it kind of looks like somebody's home. Oddo, she's been alright toward me. Other teachers stay on my case, but I know we are cool overall, unless I really make her lose her patience.

These kids stay arguing over the Christmas lights and other lights. To be honest, I like when all the lights are out because I can put my head down and go to sleep. Today she stepped out to go to something and left us in here with these other teachers. I got mad because I wanted more of the lights off- I was just having a bad day and didn't want to see those bright lights. I got up and decided to flick one of them off. When Oddo walked back in the room, she told me to have a seat.

I just burst out: "Why do we have all these damn lights anyway? You're just wasting energy..."

"Here, I said, "Let me turn them off for you!" I went to them all, one at a time and started ripping out cords. She tried to down play it but I knew it probably made her so mad. She was talking about "I'm disappointed that I stepped out and come back to find students out of their seats." I don't really care. I just want to left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment