Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Changing the narrative

I first met her at the door in the Quest room. I was standing in the frame with my back facing the hall. She came up and looked over my shoulder asking if Ms. Nelson was there. I snapped at her not to come into “my” classroom. She was unphased, playing along with me. She mentioned the hip hop class and I told her I had signed up. She was really excited. She might be okay. I couldn’t believe how great the class was once it got started. Student led! I went with that theme full on. I talked a lot and got on people’s case if they weren’t doing what they were supposed to do. Larson got the equipment I asked for to be the DJ and let me do alternatives to the assignments. She let me use her computer to work on the music and trusted me with keys to her office. That hadn’t happened before. She never yelled at me or got on my case for not doing something. I was always the kid in trouble. My home life is really hard and jail has definitely happened. I was actually in jail two days before our final performance. Larson called and asked after me. Everyone was excited that I got out in time. This class really made a difference for me. I even called places to try to get us gigs for money. Reenah asked me to volunteer at her new theatre and will pay me to DJ for her events. Who knows, maybe this will be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment