Thursday, August 2, 2018

Blog Reflection 4: Number Poem

Number Poem

Base your number poem on a sequence of numbers important to you—a social Security number, a zip code, a date (written in numerals: e.g., 10-31-1924), an address, telephone number, lucky numbers… The sequence you choose sets the pattern of syllables for you poem.

Step 1. Select a sequence of numbers important to you.

Step 2. To get language for your poem, jot down images and scenes that connect with you number: people, faces, actions, moments, scenes. Then, lay out your pattern of lines and syllables, as above. Work “the meat” of your jottings into your pattern, changing language as necessary to fit the counts. In short, connect content and form.

Examples:

(LINE #)
(Syllables)
CALL
(1)
XXXXXX
Tacked alongside this phone
(2)
XXX
a friend’s face.
(3)
XXXXXX
I cannot say his name
(4)
XXXX
yet know him well.
(5)
XXXXXXXXXX
One night he disappeared, as light from fire,
(6)
XXXXXXX
went out for good. Still, I’ll
(7)
XXXXX
know him when he calls.




PHONE

If you
Would like to know my phone number, you Will need to
Count the syllables in each sentence. With what you get there


PLEASE REMEMBER

If the phone rings after midnight, with a lonesome voice calling to
you, please remember there is
someone far from home tonight who needs your words of friendship.
--Sadie Tirmizi (444-4786)


NIGHT SOUNDS
And now
The cricket chirps Outside my door again—
His song will pierce my thoughts and dreams Tonight.
--Glynn Bridgewater


775-9184

The phone sits here, black and hard
As charcoal waiting to flame when you call me up
And your words begin their hot, bright fires. Well,
Nothing’s burning now at this end. Afraid? Afraid?
--Robert King

18 comments:

  1. The Number Poem
    (2) Hello Ex
    (3) I’m still here
    (2) I Survived
    (6) I didn’t fail like you thought
    (5) I am doing pretty well
    (2) I Survived
    (6) I did better than you thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number Poem (2)
    (9) I want to be accepted for who I am
    (4) I can’t be you
    (3) I’m just me
    (3) I am Unique
    (5) I’m stronger than I thought
    (8) I am still learning and changing and growing
    (2) I’m ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my friend. What’s up?
    Sure I can. Why? What’s going on?
    Yeah, I’m sitting down.

    Oh My Gosh!
    (…)
    Nooooo!
    When?
    Really?
    What are you going to do now?
    (…)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tired
    Bored
    This is how I go through every day
    Will these days ever end
    Dragging
    Endless fog clouds my tired brain
    When is lunch
    Boredom envelops my very soul
    Tired, bored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not a reflection of this workshop. I was thinking about high school :)

      Delete

  5. 1:
    The clouds move by slowly
    The warm humid air blows through my hair.

    Sun
    Summer
    Only one month left
    This summer has flown by.

    2:
    How do I start this thing
    I have no idea what to write

    hmm
    Empty
    This is kind of hard
    Oh good, I’m at the end.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer days of past
    Memories tucked away safely
    Country breeze and sun

    Collecting green beans from the road

    Laughter

    Morsels dropped from the rusty farm truck
    As it rounds the corner
    They spill from the top and fall

    ReplyDelete
  7. 11-03-2015

    You're
    the
    best birthday
    present
    I
    ever got; love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (3) Hello, love
    (1) Adore
    (5) I cherish our life
    (0) and how much we have grown together
    (5) Thanks for being you
    (0) Strong, caring, hardworking
    (6) I love you forever more

    ReplyDelete
  9. My number poem using number of words per line (can be syllables).
    Significance of the number is the birth date of the puppies: 07/31/2018


    7 - Roly, poly puppies have tumbled out now
    3- Mew, Whine, Suck
    1- brown
    2- fuzzy wuzzy
    0
    1- silly
    8- chocolate balls of fur love squirm and wiggle

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Magi
    kneeled
    before Jesus.
    Now
    some football players kneel
    before
    our flag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1 XX Are you
    2 XXXXX taking your pills?
    3 XXXXXXXXX Talking faster than a used car salesman.
    4 X How
    5 can you go on as if I'm an ear-shaped wall?
    6XXXXXX Wish I hadn't answered.
    7 XXXX My eyes well up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 585-201-1982
    The light at first was
    Glaring and I shrank back into
    Darkness. Freedom was
    Too bright
    I
    Am
    I cried out to no one, to the air
    Which could not answer, had no voice
    To say

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look at my children every morning,
    They are getting older but I am not.
    I know I am older, but I do not feel older.
    After all, it’s all in my mind.
    It seems that just yesterday they were in kindergarten,
    Yet, my oldest will graduate this year, I am not old.
    He laughs at me when I have the tears in my eyes as we talk about his senior year,
    Then he tells me mom, you not old, but here is a coupon for some Kleenex, you’re going to need it in June.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Freed from land, I travel across earth
    Digital signals swirl around me
    I listen
    Matched numbers make ease
    We face each other across both time and space
    To connect our minds and hearts with mobile simplicity
    I rest easy

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4- August 1st gone
    6- Always so much to do
    5- School year is almost here

    9-My summer devoted all to work
    5-Now where to begin?
    9- So much to do in so little time
    6- I really need more time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 7- Reading, Images, Good Book
    2- Romance
    7- Taking me to far away
    3- Adventures
    4- Mystery, oooh!
    7- Who did it and where is the
    5- weapon! Good Book!

    ReplyDelete